Sunday, August 28, 2011

Lemonheads


Sit down for this: I’m taking a mini-break from chocolate desserts. Maybe it’s the sunshine and heat or maybe it’s the tempting summer berries and citrus or maybe I’m fighting a cold (thanks to back-to-school germs), but I’ve been craving fruit desserts, mainly anything and everything lemon. I thought I’d share these two tempting spins on Lemon Cheesecake in case anyone else is having somewhat abnormal cravings for lemons, like me. 

I made Amazing Lemon Cheesecake Bars this week. The base is a box kit. Sure, I know some of you are shaking your heads, slightly disappointed, but because of my hectic lifestyle, combined with my always-aching sweet tooth, sometimes I have to cut corners. Anyway, they turned out delicious, and the best part... I took half the batch over to the neighbors across the street and made new friends. Double sweet!



Ingredients
1 package Krusteaz Lemon Bar Mix (1 pouch each lemon filling mix and complete crust) (don't use the Pecan Bar Mix, as it states on the website...if you happen to check the link)
8 oz (1 cup) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup water

Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 8x8x2-inch pan.
  • Press full pouch of complete crust firmly into bottom of pan.
  • Bake 8 minutes (crust will be pale).
  • Place cream cheese and sugar in medium bowl.
  • Using an electric mixer, mix on low speed until smooth.
  • Add 1 egg and vanilla.
  • Continue to mix on low speed until smooth.
  • Pour cream cheese mixture evenly over hot crust.
  • In another bowl, stir full pouch lemon filling mix, water and 3 eggs together using a whisk until eggs are well incorporated.
  • Pour lemon filling over cream cheese layer.
  • Bake 35-40 minutes or until center does not jiggle when shaken.
  • Cool completely and cut into squares. (*skip this part if you're not sharing with others, it made a crumbly mess for me)
  • Store covered in the refrigerator.

Here’s another recipe I found but haven’t tried yet. Don't you worry, it's on my shopping list. Also, this could be a good snack for any Labor Day pool party/bbq festivities.

From The Real Mom Kitchen Cookbook

makes about 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients
1 (6 oz.) container lemon flavored yogurt

1 (7 oz.) container marshmallow creme

1 (8 oz.) container whipped cream cheese

zest of 1 lemon

Instructions
  • With a hand mixer, blend all of the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Serve with strawberries and/or other fresh fruits. 

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.  Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Kim said...

Deane and Austin both LOVE lemon bars ... I am going to have to try this recipe for sure. Thanks for being a "Lemonhead" this week! -- Kim