Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tour of Homes 2011

The historic homes in this area are absolutely charming.  Sun rooms, large porches, shutters, white rocking chairs, sprawling green lawns, tire swings hanging from huge old trees...I love all of it! In fact, I've even told Bill that we should retire here (quite the change from the last time we were here, although summer hasn't hit yet!).  

I went on a Tour of Homes at Fort Benning a few weeks ago and had a great time walking through the variety of houses on post.  I appreciate how people choose to decorate their homes and it was fun to see the modern (i.e. mostly the kitchens) combined with the somewhat historic (i.e. huge wooden staircases and banister, servant quarters, etc.).  I didn't feel comfortable taking photos of the inside of the homes since it's someone's private area but I will share the photos of the outside so you can get a feel for beauty of the homes. 





Of course, my favorite house on post is Riverside, previously a working plantation and now the home of the Commanding GeneralIt is a huge, beautiful home (over 6,000 sq.ft. with 5 bedrooms, 7 fireplaces, 5 baths, and of course, a powder room, all sitting on a 13-acre "lawn") and we kept making jokes that someday we'd live there.  See, don't I already look at home here? 


On a side note, I look like a wet mop because - in classic Georgia style - it poured on us as we were walking back to our car from one of the stops, and then immediately after the sun came out. 

No mirrors involved here, this is really a long hallway of doors and rooms all connected together




During my time here in Columbus, I found a very sweet group of ladies to scrapbook with (more on them later) and one of the ladies, Sandra, hosted a scrapbooking retreat at her home this past weekend.  I couldn't attend the scrapbooking retreat (my aunt and uncle were visiting) but my aunt and I did stop by and Sandra (who is an amazing and very godly woman, by the way) gave us a detailed and intimate tour of her home.  Her stories were truly inspiring and we had a lovely time with her.  It was so sweet of her to take the time to show us around her home.  I'll never forget my afternoon at "Ridgewood."


This is the back of her home and part of her yard
Me, Sandra, and my Aunt Linda, in Sandra's garden - all smiles on a sunny day!!
As you can see, I'm starting to fall in love with Georgia, the history and the people!

1 comment:

Traci said...

Wow! Sandra's house looks amazing! I'd live there! :-) I'm glad that you're enjoying Georgia!!