Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pink Makes Everything More Fun


It’s one thing to turn 30 years old. It’s another thing to be 30-plus-one. As of this week, hubby is officially “in his 30s” which seems a lot less exciting than being the BIG 3-0.  Although, armed with a new laptop and a new puppy sidekick, and gearing up for another adventure in a few months, I think this might be his best year yet.

Anyway, we celebrated with a nice dinner at home.  And most importantly, we ate some yummy (hubby-approved) pink cupcakes!   

Since I don't use store-bought frosting (the list of ingredients on those tubs scare me), I'm always looking for new ideas for frosting. I think I finally found a homemade “strawberry” frosting (I say strawberry in quotes because it doesn’t actually have strawberries in it) that we all like (and it wasn’t runny like my other attempt at strawberry frosting). Here's the recipe...

Marshmallow Frosting

Ingredients



4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
One 16-ounce tub of marshmallow cream (I used Marshmallow Fluff brand in Strawberry Flavor)

Directions
1. In a large mixing blow, beat the butter until creamy.
2. Beat in one-fourth of the sugar until fluffy, then repeat with the remaining sugar.
3. Beat in the vanilla, then stir in the marshmallow cream until well blended.

I paired this frosting with confetti-type cupcakes and topped with sprinkles, of course.  


These cupcakes just scream "Happy Birthday!" 

Hubby blowing out his candles with some help from Grant
Here's to a happy year filled with good times! 

2 comments:

Amy n' Jonas said...

Did I miss someone's BDAY???? OMG!!! Nice cupcakes Ginger!!! U didnt add real strawberries in it??? Oh yeah I forgot it might make the cupcakes "runny!!" Love you guys..

Traci said...

Happy Birthday, Bill!!!

Glad you had a nice day together!