Monday, July 15, 2013

Lazy Summer Afternoons


"Summer afternoon - summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." - Henry James

Summertime is in full swing around here. It’s hot, hot and even hotter. Even typing this out is taking dedicated effort because the summer heat is making my entire body lethargic and eyes droopy and tired. But these relaxed afternoons are one of my favorite things about the summertime. No schedules. No rushing. NO HOMEWORK!

Since we don’t have a pool, the kids and I have been reading a lot in the afternoon. It’s too hot to do anything else – and eating ice cream all day isn’t really an option. I love reading with the kids and it’s been fun to see how their imaginations have been sparked by the stories.

For example, earlier this summer we read “George’s Marvelous Medicine” by Roald Dahl. It’s a hilarious story about a boy on a mission to make a potion to “fix” his cranky and creepy Grandma. Roald Dahl is one of my favorite children’s authors and this book was so entertaining that we finished it in two days. The kids were begging me to keep reading. Of course, I was happy to oblige. Anyway, after we finished the story, almost every day for about two weeks, the kids would go around the house creating their own magic potion. They thought it was the funniest thing.

This week we finished reading “Little House on the Prairie” by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I think every child (and/or adult) should read this book. The hardships and trials this family faced sure put my trivial annoyances into perspective. And I think it gave the kids an ounce of appreciation for their home, toys and life, too. The kids have been playing “prairie life” in the backyard. It’s amusing to watch Sienna pretend to be Laura and Grant pretend to be Pa (and sometimes Mary, when Sienna forces him). We haven’t watched the TV show yet. I’m waiting to introduce it until we’ve read most of the series. I didn’t watch the show growing up so I’m looking forward to watching it with the kids.

Speaking of shows, during our TV time, Sienna and Grant are hooked on the show called “Horseland.” We’ve been having trouble finding a good show for Sienna. She’s too old for the Nick Jr. shows and I really try to limit the amount of Disney TV shows she can watch. “Horseland” seems to be a good compromise and I love that Grant watches it too.

As for me, after the kids go to sleep, I’ve been hooked on a show called “Call the Midwife.” It’s based on a memoir of a midwife in London during the ‘50s. I think it’s fascinating!

I’ve also been doing quite a bit of reading. As with “Call the Midwife,” for some reason I’ve been drawn to stories about strong and inspiring women. Our book club pick this summer was the two-part book series, “Her Mother’s Hope” and “Her Daughter’s Dream” by Francine Rivers. I’ve always enjoyed stories that span generations and this story focuses on the relationships (and misunderstandings) of mothers and daughters through several generations. I think it’s a story most women can relate to in some way or another. And now I’m reading “The Favored Daughter” by Fawzia Koofi, Afghanistan’s first female Parliament Speaker. I’m only a quarter through the book but every chapter is inspiring and devastating at the same time. Another story that makes me really appreciate how fortunate I am to live in this country, at this time in history.

So, that’s what we’re watching and reading this summer. What about you?

2 comments:

Andrea Lee said...

Fun post! I just started watching Call the Midwife and am reading the book simultaneously, thanks for the suggestion! I thought the book would be another fun book club pick. I love how it shows the strong mothers and midwives from that time period.

Anonymous said...

I <3 Roald Dahl, I <3 Call the Midwife (so much so that I may read the book...and I don't read many books these days!), I keep meaning to try out Francine Rivers, and I totally thought eating ice cream all day was an option as long as I hid it from the kids...
I've been watching Alias for the first time ever. It was on before my TV time (Lost was the first show I ever truly watched). So addictive. Also Castle and Doctor Who.
And like I said, not many books being read right now. Does Baby Led Weaning count? Picked up a little Isabel Allende at a used book store last week to try to get myself going again.
Also, YOU ARE GOING TO LIVE NEAR US! Briefly. Near-ish. Our husbands seem to have been talking a lot. Life here is awesome but crazy expensive.