Friday, August 10, 2012

For the Dog Days of Summer


It’s been hot, very, very hot.


I’m only telling you this to justify why we’ve eaten about four gallons of ice cream in the past few weeks. I’ve been eating ice cream every day and a few times I had it twice. Hey, a girl has got to survive this heat somehow!

The other reason we’ve been eating so much ice cream is because I discovered the yummiest sundae topper. I can’t get enough of it. It’s a lot like Magic Shell but without the chemicals and scary stuff and tastes a whole lot better.

Homemade Dark Chocolate Shell

½ c of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate
2 tablespoons of coconut oil

In a bowl, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and microwave for another 30 seconds. Pour over ice cream and let it harden for about 2 minutes. Add sprinkles and viola!



Makes enough for about four sundaes, half or double the recipe if you need more or less. Also, it keeps for a few days after you melt it, but don’t refrigerate it.

Last week, I made it with Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream and it tasted like an ice cream version of a YORK Peppermint Patty. It was so refreshing.

Hope this helps you stay cool through these "Dog Days" of summer. Fall is almost here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds awesome! I'll have to try it if I can find some coconut oil. Does the coconut taste come through much? You're going to think I'm crazy, but I'm not a big fan :-/

Ginger G said...

I found coconut oil at the Commissary, maybe you'll have luck, too? And no, I don't think it has a coconut taste at all, or if it does, I don't taste it. And YES! A Skype date would be great!! Someday soon. :)