Thursday, June 21, 2012

Welcome to the Hotel California


We've been having a wonderful time in California. It has been everything I needed it to be: refreshing, fun, relaxing, filled with “soul-nourishing” visits with friends and family, and lots of soaking in the sun beachside or poolside. After the past few months of constant, anxiety-induced running around, it’s been such a nice change of pace to slow down. I’ve caught up on my piles of magazines and books. I’ve eaten lots of yummy food with almost no guilt because “I’m on vacation.” I’ve played board games with the kids. I’ve had time to sit, think and reflect. I’ve had time to hear the nudging from God of things I need to work on in my life. All things I don’t have time or energy to do or think about when I’m running nonstop.

I’ll admit, the change of scenery has been nice, too. I kind of forgot how much I love the aesthetics of green trees and grass. And for the first time in my life, I appreciate the coolness of June gloom in the morning. Oh, and how I love the beach! Nothing makes me happier than a day at the beach.

Although a month-long vacation seems rather indulgent, and I will definitely be ready to get home and back to business when the time comes, I highly recommend staying at someone else’s house for a few weeks. My in-laws have been such gracious hosts to us. And, although I’ve tried to pitch in with chores around the house, the pressures of big chores and meal planning and daily to-do lists is almost completely removed while visiting at someone else’s house. It has been a glorious break from the doldrums of daily life that can really wear me down. I can’t relax at my house (laundry, laundry, dishes, laundry...) but here I can, and I'm enjoying every moment of it! 

We’ve been playing tourist while here; going to some of our favorite places and restaurants. I’ve included some photo highlights below. 

We have a few more days here, but the time feels short because we have the rest of the days planned out. The end is definitely in sight. I’m so thankful for the time that we’ve had and I'm grateful for the special memories I will bring back with me. I feel refreshed and emotional ready to face the craziness that the rest of this year will bring….and there will be craziness.

Lastly, as we head out, I’m reminded that this is the first time I’ve wanted to return to El Paso. I’m so thankful that I’m finally settled enough there that I look forward to returning. I’ve missed my comfy little home and my friends there. I miss the traditions we’ve begun. I’m excited to get back and pick up where we left off. And I’m returning with a love tank full enough to where I might actually be able to be a blessing to those around me. 

Taking in the view
Playing with friends at the beach

Ferris Wheel at Balboa Fun Zone
Lunch at Ruby's on the Balboa Beach Pier
Sienna and her baby cousin, Lexi

Mission Inn


No comments: