Friday, May 4, 2012

It's Showtime!


We took the kids to see their first musical, Guys and Dolls, this past weekend. I had little to no expectations as to how it’d go, especially for our ants-in-his-pants Grant. Actually I was mentally prepared for the kids to talk too loud or fuss or have to take them outside. Still, it was worth the risk to me because I so want the kids to have an appreciation for “the arts,” and I figure why not start them on the classics at an early age. I have so many fond memories of going to shows with my family and watching musicals with my Grandma that I really want to pass all of that down to my children as well. 

Plus, in general, it’s a good thing to support local theater troops. It might not be Broadway but the seats are better and it's just as entertaining! 




Well, to my surprise, the kids did great! In fact, they both really enjoyed the show. I was so happy and proud of them. It was a fun family outing...and we've been singing, "a bushel and a peck..." all week. 

Then, to reward the kids for behaving at the show – and to indulge my sweet tooth – Bill made a “pizzookie” cookie sundae for us. Again, the kids loved it. Sienna was astonished and said, “I thought we were only going to have a piece but we got to eat the whole thing!” She even thanked God for it during her nighttime prayers. 



To make a pizzookie, press a package of Pillsbury Simply cookie dough into a pie pan, bake according to the directions on the package for about 15-17 minutes, top with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce...and dig in! 



For my local friends who might be interested, the UTEP Dinner Theater is an El Paso gem. Check it out! 

No comments: