Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Magic of Pretend


Sienna loves her American Girl dolls. They are her favorite toys. I hesitate to call them toys because these dolls are almost real to Sienna…so real, in fact, that they have beds, get their hair done, go to lunch with their friends, etc. I think these dolls live better than most people in this world. 

Josefina and her friend waiting in line at the American Girl Cafe.

Anyway, I was inspired by Sienna’s belief in these dolls – by the magic of pretend – and partly by the whole Elf on the Shelf movement (although, I think this is way less creepy than that scary-looking elf, and a lot more fun!), so while Sienna is at school, I set the dolls up and make it look like they are doing funny things.

Here are a couple of examples: 

They play Go Fish.




They blow dry and style their hair.

They make really big messes!
Sometimes they work on puzzles, other times they climb the shelves to get new toys, or dress up, etc. It takes some time and creativity to come up with these ideas but it is worth it when I see Sienna's reaction when she gets home from school. My rather serious little girl will laugh and giggle and scream in shock when she sees them. I love it. 

This magical world of make believe is one of the best parts of being a kid. The naive belief that anything is possible. It makes me smile to think about it.

1 comment:

S said...

This is a wonderful idea!! I'm excited just thinking about it, so I can imagine Sienna's energy level! You're a great mom Ginger. Keep the fun going! Do the dolls every help you cook? I bet they have talent. ;o)