Friday, January 27, 2012

Running The Race


Note to self: DO NOT go to Target after your Zumba workout class, when your hair is matted to your head with sweat and you probably slightly smell, even though you’re certain no one you know will be at Target at 9:45 am and you only need to run in and buy a gallon of milk and “a red Ninja guy” --- because that is EXACTLY when you will run into your perfectly-put-together-Mother acquaintance friend and her equally put-together husband. And you’ll smile while awkwardly explaining how you just came from working out and you're running into Target to buy a gallon of milk before the afternoon rush and, oh yeah, you also need to buy a toy for your kid because you just bribed him to sit still so you could take a workout class; all the while judging yourself (for them) because you know how awful you must look – and maybe smell.

Seriously, when will I ever learn?!

I've been at this job for a few years now and still some days I feel like my world is spiraling out of control. Not in a Lindsay Lohan kind of way, more like “I can’t keep up with the laundry and dishes and – oh no! are we already out of milk again?! - and rush to this and then go to that” kind of way. Especially lately, where marathon days have turned into marathon weeks and now a marathon-style month.

The constant rushing and demands and “Mommy, mommy, mommy,” is enough to make me start fantasizing about my get-away car and calculating how quickly I can make it across the border into Canada, where I can start fresh and live the rest of my days working as a librarian in a very, very, very quiet library.

But, then I’m reminded of this verse: “Do you know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.” 1 Corinthians 9:24 NIV

While I’m certain Paul was discussing something much bigger than my pile of dishes in the kitchen sink, I find comfort and encouragement in this verse. I can run in this crazy race called life and will do so to win the prize. In this case, the prize being a happy and healthy family and knowing I poured my heart and soul into my kids. Even though sometimes my life (and/or myself) is messy, I must keep going and strive for my goals, yet knowing that I can lean on my Heavenly Father for strength, encouragement and help.

To me, this video is perfect physical example of that encouragement, love and grace…


We watched this video at church this past week and I was so inspired by it. It's funny and amazing how God sends encouragement our way when we need it. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, any time I run into someone I know who's all sweaty from working out I'm all "I wish I were all sweaty from working out! Because that would mean I'd actually worked out!"
Also, the day before yesterday I spent all morning fighting some kind of anxiety attack so I went for a very slow walk then laid on the couch all afternoon and watched Castle (while Eva was at preschool and napping). I was scary but kind of nice to be forced to slow down.
Not sure what the point of that story was..."don't stress too much or you'll end up like me!" maybe.
Love that verse. Good encouragement.