Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Resolutions and Secrets of Adulthood


Regardless of how one might feel about New Year’s resolutions, I do believe there is a certain spirit of renewal during the month of January. It’s a fresh start and a chance to regroup, refocus and set out plans for the upcoming months and year. I’ve set some New Year’s resolutions that I hope will help guide the course of this year. According to this article, statistically speaking, “you are 10 times more likely to change by making a New Year’s resolution compared to non-resolvers with the identical goals and comparable motivation to change.” Well, that’s encouragement enough for me!

Speaking of resolutions, “The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin is, in my opinion, the perfect book to read in January because it’s filled with so many great ideas, quotes, inspirations and resolutions. Basically, she dedicates a year to fine-tuning her life to increase her happiness. It’s simple things that any of us can do. If you’re interested or curious, she even has an online Happiness Toolbox, filled with ideas to create your own Happiness Project. Out of need and desperation, I unknowingly created my own Happiness Project a few years ago and I’m a happier person for it now.

Some of my favorite parts of the book were the author’s various lists, including: True Rules, Personal Commandments and Secrets of Adulthood, among others. They are insightful, yet humorous, and completely relatable.

Just for fun (yes, this is what I consider fun!), I decided to create my own list of ideas, theories, quotes and lessons learned that have proven true and effective for me. I'm lumping it all under Secrets of Adulthood because these are things I "had to learn the hard way."

Secrets of Adulthood

·      Never give to receive.
·      You can’t have it all.
·      If it’s worth doing, it won’t be easy.
·      With age comes wisdom.
·      Accept people for who they are.
·      Always do your best.
·      If there is a conflict between your heart and mind, follow your mind.
·      Splurge on the basics, skimp on the accessories.
·      Broaden your horizons with new people, new places, new music, etc.
·      The days are long but the years are short.
·      It really is the little things in life that make you happy.
·      Prayer does work.
·      Treat your friends like family and your family like friends.
·      I can eat small amounts of chocolate every day and not get fat.
·      You’re never too old to dance.
·      Hard work will always be noticed and rewarded.
·      If you think you can’t, you won’t.
·      Mindful eating habits and regular exercise are the easiest and quickest ways to maintain happiness and beat the blues.
·      Coffee makes me a better person.
·      I’m happiest when I’m most productive.

I’m hoping to grow this list over time. I know I still have many lessons to learn.
As it has been said, “When the student is ready, the teacher appears.”  

4 comments:

Traci said...

Hi friend! Love your blog!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I just came back to see how the new commenting experience was here, and the comment I thought I left wasn't here. (I'm PRETTY sure you don't consider me spam, but you know... ;-)
I like the one about following your mind. Countercultural and exactly right.

Bill said...

Awesome post. I love your list!

Andrea Lee said...

I agree this is the perfect book to read in January, I'm really enjoying it. I love your list, especially the one about chocolate :)