Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year, New Adventures


We spent New Years Day going on a family adventure. It was a beautifully sunny winter day, the kind of day that MUST be spent outside. Plus, I felt it was important to start the year doing something special and fun with the kids. 



We headed to the local mountain range, the Franklin Mountains. We decided to hike up the Ron Coleman Trail (can be accessed from McKelligon Canyon Road). The trail goes to the top of the mountain but our goal was the small cave about halfway up the trail. The kids were awesome, they climbed and walked the entire way, and we made it to our goal.


We made it! (Unfortunately, some local "artists" made it to the cave before us.)

Just down the street is the Wyler Aerial Tramway (McKinley Avenue). We’ve been talking about going on the tram since we arrived in El Paso but we never made it. I was not exactly motivated to go because – call me crazy – I don’t particularly like the idea of hanging from a wire over a mountain ridge. But, I wasn’t going to let some weird quirk about myself prevent our family fun. 

It's a lot scarier looking in person!
Yeah, I was playing it cool.
It wasn’t so bad. The tram wasn’t wobbly and it was only a short four-minute trip up the mountain. And the view from the top was completely worth it. It’s a 360-degree view of 7,000 square miles that includes three states and two nations. Without planning it, we arrived at the beginning of the sunset, making it even more beautiful and amazing. I wish these photos could truly convey the beauty. 


Next time, I'm hiking it! And see those tall buildings past the mountain ridge? That's Downtown El Paso. Isn't it cute?!
And I even opened my eyes on the tram ride down! Yay, me!

It was the perfect day. Here’s to another year of adventures and fun!

No comments: