Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Lighter and Cooler Side


During the summer I try to cook without using my oven. I stick to the stovetop, crockpot or BBQ.  This summer, I’m also trying to make more salad “meals.” I have a ton of salad recipes but when it comes to actually making the salad, I usually just throw whatever veggies - and sometimes fruit - that I have around the house. But, I’m trying to make more of an effort to actually use my salad recipes. Plus, I love making homemade dressing. Even though I can be somewhat obnoxious about it, I’m a salad dressing snob.  No soybean oil here, please.

We tried this salad recipe last week.


Serves 4

Ingredients

    6 corn tortillas, sliced into strips
    5 tablespoons olive oil
    kosher salt and black pepper
    1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 romaine hearts, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
    1/4 small cabbage, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
    1 avocado, sliced
    1/4 cup roasted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)

Directions

1. Heat oven to 400° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tortilla strips with 1 tablespoon of the oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Spread in a single layer and bake, tossing once, until golden and crisp, 7 to 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the cumin and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp until golden and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

3. In a large bowl, combine the orange and lime juices with the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the romaine, cabbage, avocado, and shrimp and toss to combine. Serve the salad topped with the tortilla strips and pepitas.
  
Tip
Too tired to cook? Use crushed tortilla chips instead of baking the tortillas, and swap in pre-cooked shrimp for raw (put the cumin in the dressing instead of on the shrimp).

Notice the handy “tip” given with the recipe. Um yeah, I decided I was “too tired to cook” while I was at the grocery store a couple days before I actually made the salad.  It was a safe bet.

Seriously? I’m not making my own tortilla strips. I tried that once and almost burnt down our house. Instead, I bought Fresh Gourmet Tortilla Strips in the Santa Fe Style flavor.  But, if you want to make your own tortilla strips please go right ahead. I salute you. 

The salad is delicious, light and zesty.  The perfect meal for a warm evening. 

For dessert, I recommend Frozen Strawberry Bars (click here for the recipe).  I tried this recipe last night and was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it is. I will warn you, though, making it makes a bigger mess than you might expect because several large bowls are necessary. And please don’t be like me and have a panic attack because your egg whites aren't stiff enough. I promise you that the recipe still turns out yummy. 

Pair it with a Pinot Grigio?  Even better! 
The perfect meal to beat the heat. 
 
 

No comments: