Friday, June 24, 2011

California or Bust


The kids and I made it to California, hooray!

Somehow I managed two overweight suitcases, two car seats, two kids, two carry-ons, a shuttle bus to the airport, the chaos going through security, and the flight, and once again, while racing a huge storm that was rolling into Atlanta and bringing with it the talk of possible of cancelled flights. Needless to say, I was so relieved and excited when our plane’s wheels touched down in Ontario, California. Thank you and Amen. 

I had to take the shuttle to the airport because Bill was busy with the movers, but he did have time to snap this photo of us when he dropped us off at the shuttle bus.  

 

The caption should say: I am super traveling Mom, here me roar. Honestly, at this point, I think I can take on almost any travel situation with the kids. I’ve come a long way. Of course, it helps that the kids are older now and they are super-duper travelers. Seriously, I was so impressed at how much they helped me, listened, and boogied their way through the security line – all without tantrums or tears. Also, I was impressed with my “airport angels” – the random people who see a lady traveling alone with kids and actually lend a hand to help. (Some people see me and start praying that I’m not on their flight)

The only time I had a minor panic attack was when I realized we were in the International Terminal (I immediately recognized the food court area because it was where I ate my last McDonald’s meal before we left for Italy. It’s not noted because of the meal, it’s noted in my mind forever because during the meal the weight of moving to Italy finally sank in and I started to think, “what the heck have I gotten myself into?” I’ll probably never forget that food court and the knot I felt in my tummy while eating my chicken nuggets, and it was odd to be back there again in a different context and transition.)  Anyway…we arrive at the International Terminal and I begin to wonder if I pulled the ultimate blonde move and booked tickets to Ontario, CANADA instead of Ontario, CALIFORNIA.  I made my way to the counter and desperately said, “Please tell me this flight is going to California!” Thankfully, it was…

So, we’re in California, safe and sound, and couldn’t be happier to be here. We’ve missed it so much. It’s so good to see family and friends. And, in a way, I'm getting reacquainted with California – traffic, what?! – and I did feel like a bit of a country bumpkin driving on the big ol’ fancy eight-lane highway. I guess I have noticed a change in me. For one thing, I miss the trees! Although, no hope of seeing trees again soon since we’re headed to the desert land. And I could do without the yuppie, pretentious people at Panera Bread, thank you.The wait staff at Cracker Barrel are much nicer and friendlier.
Meanwhile….
Bill is making his trek to California driving with our pup Nico. Isn’t he a cute travel companion?  And, from what I hear, he's quite the super-duper traveler, too.
And when Bill gets tired, they switch….

1 comment:

Gretta said...

You are super traveling mom and wife! We had a great flight to NY as well. Hopefully the one back to GA will go smoothly.