Monday, May 16, 2011

PB & J Trail Mix

We love to snack on trail mix.  It's my favorite late-night snack, although, nachos is a close second.  I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of the standard peanut-raisin-M&Ms blends and some of the pre-made mixes use warped-looking nuts (insert warped-looking nuts joke here, I know you want to...). Therefore, the last time we were living in Georgia, I started creating my own trail mix blends. Bill would take large Ziploc bags of my trail mix blends to the field with him and they were always a hit with the guys.  It's the perfect snack: sweet, salty, satisfying. Combine your favorite two nuts, a dried fruit, and chocolate chips. It's practically a no-fail recipe!   I always use Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips because they don't melt and, for some reason, the other brands will. Plus, I think they taste much better than the other options. 

Here's my favorite mixture...(all ingredients can be found at my favorite store, Trader Joe's)

PB & J Trail Mix

1/2 of an 8 oz bag of dried blueberries
9.75 oz whole cashews, lightly salted
12 oz mini milk chocolate peanut butter cups (or chop pb cup candies into smaller pieces)
1/2 cup of raw almonds



Add to a large Ziploc bag, combine and enjoy!  I wouldn't recommend sitting down with the whole bag, though.  Not that I know this lesson from personal experience or anything...

You can play with the amounts, to your preference.  I like A LOT of chocolate in my trail mix.  In fact, "someone" in my household had the nerve to say my last batch had almost too much chocolate.  Blasphemy, I say!  Well, to each his own, I suppose. 

Anyway, what's your favorite midnight snack?

No comments: