Monday, March 7, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness

Today, Monday, started like so many other Mondays…the kids don’t want to wake up, I don’t want to wake up, everyone is tired and cold.  Sienna is crying because she has to go to school, Grant is crying because he doesn’t have school today. We are out of juice. I have a long list of errands and chores that should get done today.

We’re finishing up breakfast and running late, as usual.  Then Grant poops all over himself and the bathroom floor.  I have no idea why?! I quickly do some damage control, give Grant a quick bath, and somehow get the kids out the door – while I’m juggling FOUR boxes (I also have to go to the Post Office today!) and TWO bags of trash, and trying not to scream at the kids out of my own frustration.

One thing about our trash system here, we have to drive our trash about a quarter of a mile away to the large main dumpster/compactor. I usually hook my trash on my side mirror and pray the trash bag doesn’t rip in-transit to the dumpster.  It’s not my favorite part of living in an apartment.

I have – no joke – 3 minutes to dump the trash and get Sienna to school. 

When I pull up to the dumpster, there is a young guy dumping his trash (and blasting his “young guy” music) and I wait impatiently. I’m pretty mad at the universe right now and thinking rather unkind thoughts about this punk kid in front of me.  And then – cue the angels singing – he walks over to my car and offers to take my trash. 

What? Um, yes sir, you can take my trash and dump it for me.  Thank you. 

It was the smallest possible gesture and yet it changed my mood, attitude and gave me an ounce of hope for humanity.  Hallelujah! And most importantly, it saved me a couple of minutes, Sienna made it to class as the last bell was ringing, and my morning felt saved.

The whole thing made me think about the song “The Generous Mr. Lovewell” by MercyMe.  It’s about how small acts of kindness CAN make a big difference in someone’s day and maybe even their life. In particular, I love the line “ ‘Cause they will know us by our love.” The idea of “pay it forward” has felt a little cliché to me in the past, but especially now, I’m starting to believe in the power of it.

Which made me wonder, whose trash should I dump tomorrow?

2 comments:

Kim said...

I've had those kinds of days before and it's absolutely true -- all it takes is one person doing one completely unexpected, unsolicited favor to turn your frown upside down. I hope you run into this kid again so you can let him know what a difference he made in your day. That's an important gift to him, too.

Susan said...

Great post :)