Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm Kooky For Cookies

Remember I said I was taking a break from baking?  Um, yeah, well…


I’ll blame it on the kids. 

Yes, I tried TWO new cookie recipes this week and had to share them with you!

The first one is from the lady at Picky Palate. If you haven’t browsed her site, you should, immediately!  Anyone who thought to put a brownie inside a chocolate chip cookie is pretty much my hero. 

I made these ones for my Oscar Party.  And good thing, too, because the show was long and ran late here so I needed the pre-show and mid-show sugar boost!


Ingredients
2 sticks softened butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt  (sea salt)
4 oz box instant chocolate pudding mix
10 oz bag peanut butter chips
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or line with a silpat liner.

2.  In a stand or electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined.

3.  Place flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl, mixing to combine.  Slowly add to wet ingredients along with chocolate pudding mix, peanut butter chips and marshmallows.  Mix until just combined.  With a medium cookie scoop, place onto baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until cooked through.  Let cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet before transferring.


Eat one, then take picture.

These cookies were a hit with everyone, especially Sienna.  She loves marshmallows.  They were gooey and, surprisingly, not too sweet.  


The second recipe, I found and tried on an impulse. I was looking for something to quickly put together for Bible Study and noticed an interesting recipe on the back of my Duncan Hines® Dark Chocolate brownie box.  And, oohh la la, these cookies are delicious – very rich chocolate flavor and the cinnamon adds an unexpected kick.  If a brownie and a café mocha had a baby, it would be this cookie. Therefore, I love these cookies!  And the best part, they are super easy to make!


Ingredients
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder  (I used instant coffee granules)
1 box Duncan Hines® Dark Chocolate Premium Brownie Mix
1 egg
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate pieces (I used – and always use – Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate baking chips.  They are the best ones on the market, I think, and truly make all the difference in your recipes.  They are more expensive, so stock up when they go on sale.)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

2. In a small bowl combine water and espresso powder, stir until dissolved; set aside.

3. In a large mixing bowl combine brownie mix, egg, oil, cinnamon, and the espresso mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, scraping sides.

4. Stir in chocolate pieces by hand, using a spatula or wooden spoon. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheet.

5. Bake about 6-8 minutes or until edges are just set. (Centers may appear doughy). Do not overbake. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes.  

Happy Baking, friends!  Enjoy!




2 comments:

Traci said...

yum, yum, and yum! I just want to know why I wan't at your Oscar party! :-)

Martha said...

Oh boy, I will be trying those dark chocolate espresso ones! Wish they sold Ghirardelli chocolate chips here :-( (on a sidenote, I heard somebody call it "Geerarreddy or something" and that was very funny)