Saturday, December 21, 2013

T'is the Season ...to Bake!

This week I started one of my favorite parts of the holiday season - baking!! 

I thought I'd share the recipes I'm cookin' up this holiday season, in case you need some inspiration. These recipes are tested and approved by everyone in my family! 

Saltine Cracker Toffee - Over the past few years, these have become a family favorite at Christmastime. They are super easy to make and so delicious. 

What does Ginger do when she gets mad? She snaps! 

That's a joke that someone I used to work with told everytime he saw me. Well, with this recipe, Ginger (cookies) won't snap but instead melt in your mouth. I like it better this way. 

Brown Butter Soft Batch Ginger Snaps 

Christmas isn't complete without Sugar Cookies and cookie decorating. I let the kids go to town last night. There was sugar and frosting everywhere - counters, floor, foreheads, etc. At the end of it, I was so proud that I was able to suppress my clean-freak tendencies so the kids could have a fun time. Memory making in progress! 



This year, I let Trader Joe's save the day on the Sugar Cookies. This kit was too cute to pass up. We added M&Ms, mini chocolate chips and colored/glitter frosting to the decorating line-up. 



This is a lot of cookies even for us, so we're planning to package them up and bring them to the neighbors this afternoon.  

I came across a recipe for Almond Shortbread that looks pretty tasty. I haven't tried this recipe yet but I'm hoping to make them soon.
 
Finally, I also like to make pecan pies during the holidays. I tried this recipe (Trisha Yearwood's Pecan Pie) last year and loved it and everyone I shared it with loved it too. I'm planning to make it again this year. Maybe for New Year's Eve? 

What are your favorite holiday recipes? I'd love for you to share them! 

Happy Baking! And may your holidays be merry and bright! 

1 comment:

Kim said...

Your kids will remember all of these good times you create with them, long after the last cookie has been consumed. (Can't believe how quickly they are growing!) Merry Christmas.