Thursday, February 7, 2013

Our Favorite Books


I love reading with the kids. Due to the cold weather and all the sickness that has been going through our house in the past several weeks, the kids and I have spent many evenings reading. The kids and I recently read through “Matilda” by Roald Dahl. It was one of my favorite books as a kid and I really enjoyed reading it again with my kiddos. It got me thinking about some of our favorite children’s books. These are the books that are regularly picked at bedtime, some are old favorites and some are newer favorites. 

God Gave Us Heaven by Lisa Tawn Bergren – A gentle answer to some difficult questions, with beautiful illustrations.

My Mom is Trying to Ruin My Life by Kate Feiffer – A hilarious story with a fun twist at the end. We all giggle our way through this story.

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola– We like all the Strega Nona books but the first one is especially fun.

Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney – Also a fan of the Llama Llama series but I especially like this book which explains bedtime from a Momma’s perspective. Over the years, this series has helped the kids work through and process certain emotions and fears.

Olivia Goes to Venice by Ian Falconer  - I love the pictures in this story and Sienna loves the precocious pig. I also like to remind Sienna that she has been to Venice, too.

Hero Dad by Melinda Hardin – This has been a favorite of ours recently, for obvious reasons.

Someday by Alison McGhee and Peter H. Reynolds – The perfect story to read with your daughter…and then cry your eyeballs out.

The True Story of The Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka – A funny twist on a classic story.

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce – A melancholy story with amazing pictures.

Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are by Dr. Seuss – A reminder to count your blessings.

What are your favorite books to read with your kids? 

4 comments:

Andrea Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea Lee said...

I love children's books! Thanks for your suggestions :)

Andrea Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
S said...

Charlie and I love "Peter Rabbit" by Beatrix Potter. We thought "The Velveteen Rabbit" was WAY too sad though.