Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Little Garden in the Desert


It’s amazing how we can be blessed in the most unexpected ways.

When we were moving to the desert of El Paso from the lush green of Columbus, I distinctly remember having a conversation with myself (Yes, I talk to myself. Yes, I’m crazy.) about what our new house might be like and was bracing myself with the idea and possibility that I would have a rock and dirt yard. The thought of it was a little depressing. I like pretty things. I wanted a yard for the kids to run around and play in. I encouraged myself with the thought of a huge cactus garden, maybe buying some of those pretty blooming cactus, and what I could do with it and how it might be kind of fun to build a huge cactus garden.

But, instead, I got this….

 And these....


 And this picturesque setting....



In the land of sand and dirt and rocks, I truly believe it's a miracle that I have these enormous flower bushes. I was expecting so little and yet God blessed me (us) with the perfect house. We have a great little house (The Little House in the Big Desert?) and the most beautiful yard and flowers. And the best part, they require almost no work. It’s safe to say that I don’t have the best green thumb. I basically water them and that’s it. They grow into these beautiful blooming bushes that attract huge butterflies and humming birds (my favorite) and other neat little birds. I am so happy in my yard. And I feel so blessed and thankful. 


No comments: