Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I Go Nuts For Coconuts!


I’m starting a blog series titled, “I’m Becoming A Hippie.” Or maybe I should call it, “I’m Going To The Dark Side,” as my friend says. The reason is, thanks to the good (or bad?) influence of my friends here (I’m looking at you: Tricia and Samantha!), I’m starting to *make* my own cleaning supplies and personal hygiene/beauty supplies. It started with a mild curiosity but I’ve been so surprisingly pleased with the recipes I’ve tried that I might be a full-blown hippie-chic now. And I want to share them with you! Trust me, if I can make this journey, anyone can!

For today, I will start with what I call the “gateway” into Hippieville: Coconut Oil. I like shredded coconut in my desserts and I love the smell of coconut but nothing can compare to the adoration I have for coconut oil. I want to scream from the rooftops, “I love coconut oil!” Ok, I won’t really do that, but I do truly love using coconut oil. I’ve started using it as a moisturizer for my face at night, and as a deodorant and as a leave-in conditioner for my hair. After I wash my face at night, I take the smallest dab of coconut oil and rub it into my face. Make sure it’s in a liquid state. It feels a little oily at first but absorbs in about 10 minutes. Plus, it smells GREAT! My bottle says to rinse off after an hour but I never do. I have oily skin so I was worried about putting OIL on my face but, after using the coconut oil for about two weeks, my skin is less oily and has better texture. Wow! In the morning, I still use my daytime SPF face lotion. 

Me and my new love. It's not the best photo because my six-year-old daughter took it but can you see how nice my skin is?! ;)

After my shower, I put a dab of coconut oil under my arms and run a small bit on the ends of my hair as a leave-in conditioner. Since it only acts as a deodorant – not an antiperspirant – and because it has been a million degrees here lately, once it absorbs, I put on my regular Secret deodorant and antiperspirant. Though, come winter, I imagine I will only use the coconut oil.


Speaking of coconuts, this weekend, I made Coconut Milk Shampoo using this recipe from One Good Thing by Jillee blog. Since I’m guessing many won’t have castile soap on hand, I recommend this version using Aveeno baby wash:

Semi-Homemade Coconut Milk Shampoo

1/4 cup canned coconut milk
1/3 cup Aveeno organic baby shampoo/wash (unscented if you’re planning to use the essential oils)
1 tsp vitamin E, olive or almond oil
10 to 20 drops of your choice of essential oils (I recommend Lavender or Lemon)

Add all ingredients to a travel bottle or an old, rinsed-out shampoo bottle and mix. It’ll last a month in the shower. Shake before use. Start with a tablespoon amount but adjust the amount depending on how much hair you have. I still use conditioner after but my hair is very dry. You might not need to.

There are a thousand other uses for coconut oil and coconut milk – go ahead and Google it! These are the ones I’ve tried and approve, so far.

Here’s the coconut oil I bought. I found it at the commissary but I’ve also seen it at Target. The bottle cost about $7.00 and I think it might last me about a year. Only the smallest bit is needed. Good for you, smells great, not too expensive and lasts forever = SCORE!

  
Stay tuned for more homemade ideas coming here soon!!

No comments: