Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Snow Much Fun


It snowed here! It was a pretty big deal. I’ve never, ever, seen it snow. I’ve been in the snow. But I’ve never actually seen it fall from the sky. Neither have the kids. We did get snow in Georgia once, but we woke up to the snow and never saw it come down. In California, we would drive up to the snow in Big Bear after it snowed.

I can now say that there is something magical about watching it snow – but I’m from California so any bit of weather is amazing to me.

Apparently, the snow was a big deal to the locals, too, because we’ve been hearing about, bracing and waiting for this mysterious “winter weather event” for a few days now. Last week it started as freezing and dusty winds, then, later turned to light rain, and finally the snow arrived. I had been skeptical that it would snow here. And after the forecasters delayed the snow first one day, then two days, then three days, I figured it wasn’t coming. The impression, to quote Bill, was: “This ‘winter weather event’ is a joke.”

Then, yesterday, Sienna peeks out the window and yells, “Mom, it’s here! It’s finally snowing! Come see!” When we opened the door to peek outside, sure enough, snow was starting to fall. Granted, it wasn’t a blizzard or anything, but it was snow – falling from the sky – and it was beautiful and amazing. We were running and dancing around the yard yelling, “Snow! Snow! Snow!” I’m sure the neighbors thought we were crazy. I’m sure the neighbors already know we’re crazy. 



It snowed a bit last night and we woke up to a nice, thin blanket of snow and clear skies. It was a glorious sight. I couldn’t stop taking photos of the snow and the neighborhood. I was like an Asian tourist at Disneyland! (Sorry to my Asian friends…but you know it’s true!) 



My favorite part is that it was enough snow to transform the neighborhood into a wintery wonderland but not enough to disrupt daily life. On the flip side, it’s so beautiful that I don’t want to see it melt quite yet. But the sun is out and most of the snow is already melted. I’m sure it’ll be gone by tomorrow. Still, it was a fun diversion and added to the already magical season of Christmas. I’ll take it! 


No comments: