Saturday, February 12, 2011

What I cook for breakfast when the kiddos wake up at an ungodly hour on Saturday morning

For some unknown reason, my kids will not sleep in on Saturday morning.  Every Friday night I tuck them into bed hoping and praying that they will sleep to a normal time, somewhere around a practical 7:35 am.  Instead, they creep into my room around 5:15 am EVERY SATURDAY MORNING!  Given that I'm not a morning person and that it's my one day to sleep in, I am not a happy camper!  But I've figured out a way to be productive and happy when I'm awake before the rest of world....

(Ginger's side note: Thank you, Lord, for yummy food!)

Servings: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients 

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 teaspoon sugar
2   large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1   banana, peeled and thinly sliced
2 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup peanut butter
8   slices of white bread
1/2 cup granola
1 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
maple syrup

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the granola in a shallow bowl; set aside. 

Spread each slice of bread with peanut butter. Drizzle honey evenly over peanut butter. Divide the banana slices among four slices of the bread; top with the remaining bread, peanut butter sides down. Remove the crusts and tightly pinch the edges of each sandwich together to seal. 

In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Soak each sandwich in the egg mixture for 5 seconds. Roll the edges of each sandwich in granola. 

In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the sandwiches, working in batches if necessary; cook about 2 minutes per side or until golden. Transfer the sandwiches to a baking sheet; bake for 10 minutes. Serve immediately with maple syrup.  



Add sausage or strawberries or both on the side.  And of course, I enjoy two cups of coffee while making it and one cup while I'm eating it. 

It's my favorite breakfast treat and boosts my mood every time! (Just make sure you have all the ingredients you need by Friday night!)

5 comments:

Andrea Lee said...

Thanks for the yummy recipe! You're my new favorite blogger :)

Kim said...

Wow ... think I gained five pounds READING that recipe! Sounds deelish ... will be looking forward to future posts!

Traci said...

Awesome, Ginger! So fun that you're doing a blog AND so fun to get yummy recipes and ideas!!!

Traci said...

Ok, I made this this morning and I had serious trouble with the rolling the edges in the granola part. It totally fell apart! Any tips??? Other than that they turned out great! Very yummy and verry filling!

Ginger G said...

Traci -
I'm so glad you tried the recipe! Yay!
Yes, it does get a little messy. I use my Pampered Chef sandwich cutter, which seals the edges (they look like those frozen PB&J Uncrustable sandwiches) and might help keep it together. Also, I noticed it's easier to dunk the french toast "sandwich" into the egg mixture instead of letting them soak. But, it's worth the work because doesn't the granola add a nice little crunchy texture to the french toast?Hey, just had a thought, wonder what it'd taste like to roll it in chopped pecans or walnuts, instead of the granola?! Might have to try that next time. Don't give up on it! Let me know how your next batch comes out! :)