Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Thankful For My Citizinship Here -- And Beyond!


In the past few years I’ve had a new understanding and appreciation for the meaning of freedom, service and sacrifice. Being apart of a military family and community has so much to do with it, plus, starting a family and growing older puts a new perspective on things. Most recently, living within 2-miles of another country, and reading its news almost daily, has also given me a deep-rooted gratitude for my country and citizenship. We are extremely blessed here. As an American, and especially as a woman, I have so much to be thankful for. In fact, being born in the United States isn’t just about big picture “freedoms” and “luxuries” but very much a matter of daily safety, overall health and well being, and knowing that my life has value. We have hundreds of advantages, freedoms and privileges that women in many other countries don’t have.  

God Bless America!

Yet, I have also been reminded that this isn’t my true home. My home and citizenship are heavenly and I must try to live my life with that perspective. I’m still working on that….

With that said, and in honor of Independence Day, I’m sharing these stories, prayers and thoughts:

(Click on titles for article links)

A funny “we’ve all been there” Mommy-brain moment with an awesome reminder about our true home, heavenly citizenship and where we really belong…
“In Christ, you’re a native of heaven right now. You aren’t a citizen of here trying to work into heaven. You’re a citizen of heaven trying to work through here.”

“When heaven is really your motherland, then prayer is really your mother tongue, and you can’t help but yearn to speak in the language of your Father now.”

We are free indeed!
But the gratitude I feel for my citizenship in the USA pales in comparison with the joy generated by my citizenship in heaven (Phil 3:20). I praise you today for making me a member of the “chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession”(1 Pet. 2:9). This is my true and lasting identity—my consummate and eternal liberty.”

And just for fun…
"May your day be chock full of patriotism found in freedoms unique to this good country, in freedom to breathe fresh air deep, and in freedom to say no to the iffy potato salad no matter who made it."

Happy 4th!!

No comments: