Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Super Six


This week Sienna turns six years old! Six doesn’t seem to convey her independence, smarts, and spirit. She must be six going on sixteen, or beyond. Not surprising, she’s hitting new milestones weekly. Last week she went to her first school dance (a fundraiser event held during school hours) and her recap was, “it was really loud and there was a rock star named Michael Jackson.” (My goodness, he's alive! But, keep him away from the children!) This past weekend she lost her fifth tooth, leaving her smile with a big hole in the front. I have a feeling she’ll be singing “All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth” by December. As cute as she is, she’s – still – equally stubborn. And she's very, very cute. It’s fun to watch the “battle of the wills” between Bill and Sienna. I don’t even try, I already know she can out “will” me with her stubbornness. Mostly, I try to reason with her…and even more likely, I rely heavily on bribing her. If I had to pick one word to describe her, it would be “strong.” (Just like her Daddy) 

One step closer to taking over the world.


I know six will usher in a new set of challenges, milestones and wonderful memories. I can’t wait! I enjoy watching her spread her wings and fly, still, there is a part of my that can't help but to think of these lyrics with some sadness and longing for how quickly the time goes. Every day is a fresh vow to cherish every minute. And a reminder to pick my battles. 

“Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see whats in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time”
- ABBA “Slipping Through My Fingers”

 Happy 6th Birthday Sienna!

No comments: