Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Something For Everyone in Atlanta

We decided to take a day-trip to Atlanta over the holiday weekend. We headed out early and arrived in Atlanta in the late morning. 

First stop, breakfast of champions…



Next, we indulged my retail therapy at Cost Plus World Market (a surprise bonus) and then arrived at my personal “Mecca” point: Trader Joe’s. Yes, we drove 118 miles for Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce, Roasted Red Pepper Soup, and Sweet and Spicy Pecans. Needless to say, we totally blew out our food budget for this month but I’m now well-stocked on wine, chocolate and trail mix. Hooray!

For lunch, we headed to the highly-recommended Fat Matt’s Rib Shack (1811 Piedmont Ave. NE, Atlanta). It was almost easy to miss except for the long line of people waiting (almost around the side of the building) and the packed parking lot. Thankfully, the line moved quickly and we had no problems finding a seat. It’s an order-at-the-counter type of place, and was bustling with quite an assorted mix of people. We ordered the pulled pork sandwiches and rib meat “sandwich” (literally a stack of ribs and white bread – nothin’ else) with coleslaw and baked beans.  I loved the pulled pork sandwich and coleslaw and the BBQ sauce was the BEST that I’ve ever tried.  No joke.  It is perfectly sweet and tangy and smoky all at once. I'd put it right up there with that mysteriously magical Chick-fil-a sauce that I love so much! We liked it so much, in fact, that we took home two bottles of it. I’m not sure, but I think this is where the saying “finger-lickin’ good” got its start! The staff was friendly and we loved the live music. It was perfect to eat our southern fare and listen to the Blues from a singer/guitar player with a fresh black eye!  It was great – and we deemed it a “must-see” for anyone who visits Atlanta! 

Notice the line... and the happy customer!

And finally, to appease the true boss of our family, we headed to “consumerism capital” (Hubby’s words, not mine) – the American Girl Store. Sienna has been asking to go and she’s been working hard on her attitude lately so we decided to reward her.  We purchased a doll – she surprised us both and decided on, Josephina, which is a fitting choice since we’re probably headed to El Paso, Texas! – and then the girls (me, Sienna and Josephina) enjoyed a lovely hot chocolate and dessert date at the American Girl Bistro.  In fact, hubby confessed later to spying on us and said we both looked like giddy little girls.  Between all the sprinkles, sugar and pink walls, I couldn’t help but to be happy.  Oh yeah, and Sienna was thrilled, too!


Our tummies – and our wallet – couldn’t handle anymore so we headed home. 
But, I’d say that we all headed home very happy campers!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, how fun!! You're blogging now :) I can keep up with all the fun, exciting things you all do!! I had a blog for a while...but now I just visit all my favorite bloggy friends...I'll add you to my "must visit" list and pop on in from time to time :0)
~Susan

Traci said...

What a fun - and busy day! My tummy feels full and happy just reading about it! :-)